Sunday 29 November 2020

Values

The Rebel Worlds, VII.

Kathryn McCormac to Dominic Flandry after being raped by Aaron Snelund:

"'To you, what happened to me was...unfortunate, nasty, yes, but not a befoulin' I'll never quite cleanse me of, not a thing makes me wonder if I should really want to see Hugh ever again....'" (p. 60)

How can anything done by Snelund to Kathryn befoul her in a moral as opposed to a mere physical sense? Returned to her husband or other relatives, Kathryn needs support, not cleansing. But I know that some societies have had other attitudes.

1 comment:

Sean M. Brooks said...

Kaor, Paul!

And I agree with you and Flandry. Lady McCormac should not feel as tho she had been "befouled" by Snelund's raping of her. He was the criminal, not her. But, even in Western countries many, many victims of rapes have reactions or feelings similar to those of Kathryn.

Ad astra! Sean