Sunday 1 November 2020

"Not Like It Used To Be"

Orion Shall Rise, CHAPTER SEVEN.

"'I see a lot of funny doings and high living - wasteful, shameless - amongst the Clansfolk, 'specially the youngsters. Not like it used to be.'" (p. 92)

This has been said throughout history, no doubt.

Usman, a local Muslim entrepreneur, once told me that the younger generation do not have the same attitude. I replied that I was sixty-four (at the time) and that people had been saying that since I was four. However, I think that I did him an injustice. His generation had come to Britain, set up businesses and established themselves. The following generation, born and growing up here, were bound to have a different attitude.

Meanwhile, fiction reflects life. Things change also in the Maurai History. Many people are restless as:

"Change blew in on the winds from the sea, the winds in the sails of foreign ships." (ibid.)

1 comment:

Sean M. Brooks said...

Kaor, Paul!

And that increasing sense of restlessness would make more and more people impatient with the Maurai restraints on developing and using new technology!

Ad astra! Sean