Sunday 8 April 2018

Reading, Remembering And Rereading

A text affects us when we read it and as we remember it but we can mis-remember - and mistaken memories might be improvements. One author agreed that a couple of minor changes that I suggested would have been improvements. In past pasts, I have referred to my memories of a scene in Wells' The Time Machine and of a scene in Poul Anderson's A Stone In Heaven.

I had mis-remembered Lewis' "...a city of the Darkened World..." (see here) as "...a darkened city of the silent planet..." Kevin tried to reread Michael Moorcock's Eternal Champion novels, then decided to leave them in memory.

Good works can be reread endlessly which is the point of this blog. And the more we reread, the less we forget or mis-remember.

1 comment:

Sean M. Brooks said...

Kaor, Paul!

I agree, what you said about our memories, mistaken or not, affects what we recall of the books we've read. I was even pleased, not so long ago, to have had a DREAM about Dominic Flandry, even if I no longer recall exactly what the dream was about.

At least Kevin read the Elric stories once! I simply couldn't "get into" them. They were off putting and unappealing to me.

Sean