Friday 3 November 2023

Time And Stars II

It gets worse. I did have a copy of Time and Stars for years but did not remember "Eve Times Four" as being in it. That is because it was not. The American paperback (New York, 1965) contains the six stories listed in the recent post, "Time And Stars," (see the above link) whereas the British paperback (London, 1970) contains only the first five stories, omitting "Eve Times Four." This means that the Gollancz British hardback (1964), which I read in the '60s, would not have contained this story and therefore I did encounter the story for the first time in the NESFA collection in 2015. There was a similar difference between American and British editions of the collection, Galactic Cluster by James Blish. Collections can overlap and different editions of a single collection can underlap. Fortunately, it is the newly acquired American edition of Time and Stars, with more stories, that is in better condition. 

Time and Stars is a definitive sf title in the tradition of Tales of Space and Time by HG Wells. Googling the latter, we find its contents listed and I think that I have read an edition that left out the last story! - which was included in at least one edition of The Time Machine.

1 comment:

Sean M. Brooks said...

Kaor, Paul!

I know what you mean! Many of the books in my Anderson collection, paperbacks and hardbacks, overlap with one another. But I don't mind!

Ad astra! Sean