Wednesday 9 October 2019

Sticky post: the comment problem

In an effort to solve the problems that some readers are having while commenting, I've made this a sticky post to (hopefully) allow us enough time to get to the bottom of an increasingly annoying situation that leaves many of our readers unable to comment at all. My apologies for the delay, I've been poorly.

This post will stay on top until October 9th. Please note that newer posts will appear below it.

According to Paul, my likely response when told that readers have hit a problem, is to blame Google. That's true though there's likely to be a lot of swearing involved too, as almost every problem that has affected readers/commenters have been because Google has changed how a setting worked or just deleted a setting for no obvious reason.

This has been a cause of much irritation for years, as witness the problems here as well as on my last blog, Lancaster Unity.

Any problen then, is generally solved by digging around in the settings, then cursing Google for twenty minutes for turning a trivial setting into an unnecessary disaster. This is, I think, what has happened in David's case where he tried to comment on one of Paul's other blogs. When he hit Post the comment diappeared.

In a post recently, David pointed out 'I tested several of the other blogs as well. Trying to Publish or even Preview my comment instead erases it.'

The problem I now face is to find the appropiate setting and change it. There are, sadly, thousands of them. To find the cause, I need information. Anything then, that irritates you, the reader, or that leads to an unexpected outcome, like David's pretty enormous snag, should be reported and hopefully dealt with. If it isn't, feel free to curse Google, too. They can take it.

If there's anything you want to say, please comment. Hopefully, it'll work.

14 comments:

paulshackley2017@gmail.com said...

Thank you, Ketlan. I will see you for lunch on Tuesday, Mike on Thursday, Andrea some other day in the week, Kevin and John in the Gregson next week and hopefully Nygel before then. Meanwhile, it is good to know that someone knows how to address the Google problems. Maybe sorting out problems for some people will sort out problems for other people. At least, I hope so.

paulshackley2017@gmail.com said...

As you know, I have stopped receiving email notifications of blog comments.

Sean M. Brooks said...

Kaor, Paul and Ketlan!

As you will recall I too have had difficulties with my comments on this blog. A year or two ago I would write a comment, seem to upload it successfully, and then find out my comment had disappeared. And Paul was still able to get or see my comments at that time. Mysteriously, about a year ago I was again able to upload remarks without them disappearing. I have no idea how or why that happened, either way!

But I really, really hope other blog readers will be able to deposit comments here without any trouble! I value feedback!

Ad astra! Sean

paulshackley2017@gmail.com said...

I was receiving email notifications of the comments and able to copy them onto the blog but now the notifications have ceased.

paulshackley2017@gmail.com said...

Love "sticky post"!

paulshackley2017@gmail.com said...

Good to see Lancaster Unity again.

Sean M. Brooks said...

Kaor, Paul!

Fortunately, I was able to again upload comments without them also disappearing before you mysteriously lost the ability to get email notifications of comments.

And, thanks again, for copying some of my sometimes LONG comments into this blog!

Ad astra! Sean

paulshackley2017@gmail.com said...

The trouble is that, if some people cannot comment on the blog, then they cannot comment on this post. But they can email me: paulshackley2017@gmail.com

Sean M. Brooks said...

Kaor, Paul!

I have sometimes done that, usually to send you a link to an article I thought might interest you.

Ad astra! Sean

paulshackley2017@gmail.com said...

Sean,
And so can others so I hope that anyone unable to comment here can tell me what their problems are so that I can forward them to Ketlan.
Paul.

Sean M. Brooks said...

Kaor, Paul!

I hope so. I would love it if more people would comment here, and even criticize some of the things I say. I can take the heat! (Smiles)

Ad astra! Sean

Ketlan said...

Many thanks for your responses. Sean, I completely forgot your problem - thanks forminding me. I'm hoping a couple more peopke can give us a bit more informaion, then i can target the hunt for a solution more effectively.

paulshackley2017@gmail.com said...

I remember (somehow) responding to a friend of Sean's who was having some access problems but I can remember neither the details nor the outcome.

Sean M. Brooks said...

Kaor, Ketlan!

Anytime. And I have no idea why my comments used to disappear or why, mysteriously, I was again able to upload remarks without them then disappearing. Thanks for trying to help me at that frustrating time!

Ad astra! Sean