Friday 11 October 2019

Air And Thunder

The Devil's Game.

While two characters converse:

"The air clung to the skin. It smelled of rankness and wetness. Thunder muttered." (p. 113)

Unnecessary for the character interaction but what an appropriate background, as unobtrusive as the grammar. Our old friend, "at least three of the sense," is back in action. The air is felt and smelled while the atmospheric disturbance is heard. It mutters as if in comment - as ever in Poul Anderson's texts: wind, storms, thunder, bird sounds, a natural chorus commenting on humanity.

Now I must finish my coffee and return to other activities.

1 comment:

Sean M. Brooks said...

Kaor, Paul!

I know something myself of that damp heat and humidity, from being in Florida this past June. Not my favorite kind of weather!

Ad astra! Sean