Tuesday 15 October 2019

Midnight Thoughts

Drama, in the form of cinema, can do great things several times with characters as lame as the Joker used to be. (Check out the earliest comic books.) So what could it not do with the big guys known to sf fans?:

Neldorians;
Merau Varagan;
Raor;
Aycharaych;
Merseians;
Terrans and Ythrians on Avalon (whichever you regard as the bad guys);
(God between us and all harm) SM Stirling's rogues' gallery.

You can probably write a longer list. Their time should come. (I am off Anderson onto my other late night reading but I can still make comparisons.)

3 comments:

Sean M. Brooks said...

Kaor, Paul!

Besides the examples you selected from the works of Anderson and Stirling, characters and peoples created by other SF writers came to my mind. I thought of Susan Calvin, Elijah Baley, R. Daneel Olivaw, Hari Seldon, and the Mule, from the stories of Asimov.

I also remembered Heinlein's Lazarus Long, and Pournelle's Colonel John Christian Falkenberg. Hmmm, and Paul Mu'ad Dib Atreides, from Herbert's DUNE books.

Ad astra!

paulshackley2017@gmail.com said...

Sean,
Of course. I was mainly concentrating on "villains," which can be an ambiguous category.
Paul.

Sean M. Brooks said...

Kaor, Paul!

I recall how another friend, who also read DUNE, said she dislikes that book because none of the characters were truly likable. They all seemed loathsome to her, for one reason or another.

"Villains" can be ambiguous, I agree. They can be fairly decent characters serving a cause not quite as "good" as the other side.

Ad astra! Sean