Sunday 2 June 2019

What Next For The Blog?

It is fascinating. I will finish rereading Poul Anderson's "Sargasso of Lost Starships," then might tackle The People Of The Wind even though I have been through that novel a lot of times before. The object will be to learn as much as possible about Ythrians. The novel follows three short stories set on Avalon, one on Ythri and one in an Ythrian spaceship. Each narrative has to repeat the basic information about the Ythrians but there can be and is more in the novel. I do not know what will come after that.

I have not fully recovered from that cold which is why I have been staying at home and blogging almost non-stop. I hope that interrupted family and social activities will resume this week. Right now, I should be rereading Stieg Larsson or going to bed instead of posting so late at night.

I recently read SM Stirling's Fifth Millennium, Volume 1 (see here), where I found curiosities like a shaman with a strange perspective on the fourth dimension so I might well venture further in that direction before long.

3 comments:

Sean M. Brooks said...

Kaor, Paul!

A thought I had was to wonder how often you commented on Anderson's ROGUE SWORD, so I googled this blog to find out. A fairish number, including my own contribution, "Finding an Unexpected Connection." But not as detailed as you have done with many others of Anderson's works. I can see why, maybe. ROGUE SWORD is one of Anderson's fiercer, grimmer, and bloodier stories. Not quite to everyone's taste.

Sean

paulshackley2017@gmail.com said...

Sean,
I think I would find less to say about it anyway.
Paul.

Sean M. Brooks said...

Kaor, Paul!

Probably! But I thought ROGUE SWORD one of the best HISTORICAL novels I've ever read. Another being William Stearns Davis' THE BEAUTY OF THE PURPLE (pub. about 1928). I've also seen so called historical novels where there was scant respect for known facts and history. My view is that authors of such works are bound to write such stories fitting in what was known or reasonably likely to be true about the persons or places they wrote about.

Sean