Friday 28 June 2019

Change And Progress

Because Poul Anderson's For Love And Glory is set millennia in our future and one character, Hebo, has lived for nine hundred years, the author has to show us social change and technological progress as between the time of writing and the time of the novel and also within Hebo's lifetime.

There is faster than light interstellar travel and contact with other intelligent species and most human beings live outside the Solar System. Within Hebo's lifetime:

cities have disappeared from Earth;

the Terrestrial population has shrunk to less than that of Britain now;

a routine health check of Hebo when he enters the Solar System now takes seconds instead of hours.

See Earth In FLAG.

It is to be hoped that we continue to progress instead of to retrogress.

3 comments:

Sean M. Brooks said...

Kaor, Paul!

I'm not sure if FOR LOVE AND GLORY was set by Poul Anderson MILLENNIA in the future. My possibly incorrect recollection is that Hebo was born not too far ahead of OUR time, which means FLAG is set "only" about 1000 years from now.

And I don't think I would like everything that had happened on Earth during those thousand years. Which makes me glad other humanly colonized worlds exists in that book. And I expect "regression" to be as likely to happen as "progress."

Sean

paulshackley2017@gmail.com said...

Sean,
Not sure about the era of the novel. I will keep looking for clues.
Paul.

Sean M. Brooks said...

Kaor, Paul!

I think Hebo was born before BOTH a FTL drive was invented and a means of periodically rejuvenating humans was worked out. I would argue for sometime around AD 2100 for his birth date.

Sean