Thursday 1 February 2018

Meditating In A Police Cell

I have something in common with Adzel. Confined in a cell, he is interrogated by Lunar police who communicate with him from behind a "...vitryl panel..." (Chapter X, p. 424)  (For full reference, see here.)

Refusing to answer questions, Adzel:

"...assumed the quadrupedal equivalent of the lotus position, which is quite a sight." (p. 425)

He chants, "'Om mani padme hum.'" (ibid.)

I am unable to adopt the lotus posture and nowadays sit on a chair to meditate although I used to sit in a kneeling position on a meditation cushion. Once, in a police cell, I adopted this kneeling position, facing the wall. A copper, looking into the cell, shouted to his mates, "We've got one praying in here!" British police regularly swear on the New Testament in court - I prefer to affirm - but apparently it was a great joke to find someone "praying" in a cell!

Beyond that point, Adzel's and my experiences diverge. He is tortured. Fortunately, I was not.

No comments: