Thursday 21 July 2022

A Tall Tale

"Ivory, and Apes, and Peacocks."

"Over the years [Gisgo's] cronies had tired of hearing about his remarkable experience. They took it for just another tall tale, anyway." (p. 313)

This raises a moral question. Children learn to distinguish between true statements, lies and fictions but is there a fourth category: the yarn or tall tale?

Someone told me of an experience in India. I relayed it to a third party. The third party responded, "Jim tells a good story!" or "You didn't believe him, did you?" My response was annoyance not at Jim for lying to me but at myself for being taken in. In other words, I seemed to accept the legitimacy of the "yarn." Its characteristics are:

it is presented as a true story;
it is meant to be enjoyed but not believed;
even if believed, it does not deceive the hearer in any way that matters;
the hearer plays along, maybe by laughing or by expressing surprise, but does not contradict.

Is the yarn a legitimate narrative form intermediate between a lie and a fiction? 

1 comment:

S.M. Stirling said...

There's a classic story of a sailor telling a tall tale to a kid ashore, and it ends with the kid saying "And what happened then?"

And the sailor says: "Why, then I died, lad!"