Wednesday 11 May 2022

Incarnation

War Of The Gods.

Do we understand how the incarnation of Njord as Hadding reconciles the Vanir with the Aesir? I don't think I do. But how do divine incarnations work in any case?

The Biblical Incarnation of God ends with Crucifixion and Resurrection. This Pagan incarnation of a god ends with self-hanging and a return to the boughs of Yggdrasil. Hangings are offerings to Odin so that is some measure of reconciliation. Poul Anderson has followed the myth of Hadding closely and maybe made some sense of it.

In Buddhism, a man becomes enlightened. In the Fourth Gospel, the light becomes a man. Are these the same process described from opposite perspectives?

Sri Chinmoy: "Man said, 'I need You for my realization.' God said, 'I need you for my manifestation.'"

Hadding as man yearns for that which he does not consciously remember:

"'I think you are the home I have ever been seeking... But how can a man have his home in the sea?'" (XXXIII, p. 277)

In terms of divine justice, we might think that Ufhild gets away lightly but the thwarting of her ambition is probably sufficient penalty.

1 comment:

Sean M. Brooks said...

Kaor, Paul!

A Christian would insist, rather, that the Light became incarnate as many by assuming a human nature to His divinity.

Ad astra! Sean