Friday 27 May 2022

Antithanatics

"The antithanatic treatment that our organization provides will arrest the aging process but not reverse its effects."
-Poul Anderson, "The Sorrow of Odin the Goth" IN Anderson, Time Patrol (Riverdale, NY, 2010), pp. 333-465 AT 1935, p. 345.

I took "arrest...aging" to mean that Time Patrollers have indefinitely prolonged lifespans. However, Janne Floris thinks that she will be worth most in the field:

"'...until I am too old and feeble.'"
-"Star of the Sea," 20, p. 538.

So how long do they live?

This does solve one problem for me. Although some Patrol agents die by accident or violence, others do not so that I had become concerned about a world overpopulated with perpetually young or middle-aged agents.

5 comments:

S.M. Stirling said...

They don't seem to get the treatment when it would be obvious or when they're out of contact.

Eg., Keith Dennison aged normally as Cyrus the Great.

S.M. Stirling said...

I think it's mentioned in several places that by the time of the later stories, on his own world line Everard is centuries old.

Sean M. Brooks said...

Kaor, Mr. Stirling!

But I also recall mention of Keith Denison seeming to be younger than his real age in "Brave To Be A King." Possibly from the Danellian longevity treatment?

Yes, I'm sure Everard was very old, in his personal time, by the time he first met Wanda Tamberly.

Ad astra! Sean

paulshackley2017@gmail.com said...

I don't think we're told Everard is centuries old but I'll keep looking.

Sean M. Brooks said...

Kaor, Paul!

Not directly, but I have a vague recollection of that being implied.

Making good progress rereading WAR OF THE GODS. Again, I continue to think much of that book than I had the first time I read it, in 1997. Next comes TIME PATROL, collecting nine of the shorter stories in that series.

Ad astra! Sean