Friday 23 July 2021

Times And Places

 

Starfarers.

(Posting delayed by a visit to Andrea above the Old Pier Bookshop. Watching superhero TV series. Robin, operating independently, stomps drug dealers and says "F--- Batman!" Outstanding.)

Chicago
Starfarers presents no year dates so we cite only chapter numbers. In 44, in Tenoya Lowtown, people occupy excavated remnants of Arakoum and, before that, Cago. In 48, Elya is built above layers of cities:
 
"...the whole way down to Chicago." (p. 454)
 
Tenoya:
 
to the west, a dusty, desolate plain;
 
to the east, a cultivated former lake bottom with pipes, processors and robots;

in the city, large buildings (former office blocks?) now filled with tenants, smaller dwellings made from wreckage, bulbous temple spires, a fortified garrison, dust and smoke.

Elya:

to the west, grassy plains, trees and large, wild, genetically engineered grazers;

to the east and north, a cultivated bottomland with robots tending biosynthetic plantations;

on the height between these two landscapes, one hundred thousand people in widely spread houses with gardens and groves, various places of business, Sanctuary and shrines surrounded by natural stone, plants and branching towers, other buildings mostly underground.

4 comments:

Sean M. Brooks said...

Kaor, Paul!

I hope Andrea is better. You have mentioned how he had not been well and I think his drs. could not quite figure out what the problem was.

GOOD used book stores are hard to find! So I would love to drop by the Old Pier Bookshop if I was ever in Lancaster. And did you ever find any of Russell Kirk's books? I recommended one of his collections of short stories, such as THE PRINCESS OF ALL LANDS.

I fear I had rather lowbrow tastes in comic books as a boy! Instead of Superman and Batman I favored Walt Disney's comics about Donald Duck and his Uncle Scrooge McDuck.

And STARFARERS was not the first time we see Anderson making use of Chicago. We see Chicago Integrate in "Esau," "The Master Key," and (I think) MIRKHEIM. And the ruins of Chicago (Roong) was being mined for metals in THE WINTER OF THE WORLD.

Ad astra! Sean

paulshackley2017@gmail.com said...

Sean,

Andrea remains unwell which is why I must visit him, not meet elsewhere.

The Old Pier Bookshop did not have any Russell Kirk books and I have not searched any further as yet.

Paul.

Sean M. Brooks said...

Kaor, Paul!

I am sorry about Andrea's continuing health problems. I hope he gets better.

It's only my opinion, but I think Kirk's stories are worth reading.

Ad astra! Sean

S.M. Stirling said...

Hope he improves.