Sunday 18 July 2021

Quantum Life

Starfarers, 41-42.

A holont:

is embodied in a quasi-stable quantum state;

is a differentiation of an original unity;

lives individually but also re-merges and re-emerges, altered;

thus, gives its experiences to the underlying whole;

interacts with other individual quantum states;

acts on its own and other states by controlling, moving or altering electrons, photons and nuclei;

perceives the universe outside itself as a concrete environment, not as a set of abstractions;

detects and responds to communications from organic beings;

receives messages from its future selves.

Holontic evolution and history resemble memes in organic minds.

3 comments:

Sean M. Brooks said...

Kaor, Paul!

I've said it too often, but Holont intelligent beings was the hardest part of STARFARERS to wrap my mind around!

Ad astra! Sean

paulshackley2017@gmail.com said...

Sean,

I summarized the Holont before but too telegramically.

Paul.

Sean M. Brooks said...

Kaor, Paul!

I understand, but I appreciate these efforts you have made. The Holont chapters sort of glided over my brain in previous readings of STARFARERS.

Ad astra! Sean