Tuesday 12 March 2019

Surfing A Cyber-Empire

Late night other reading becomes relevant:

"Salander was surfing through Wennerstrom's cyber-empire. She had been staring at her computer screen for almost eleven hours...She had spent twelve hours a day in front of her computer, some days more..."
-Stieg Larsson, The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo (London, 2008), CHAPTER 29, p. 499.

This is contemporary fiction but its viewpoint character is as near as she can get to one of those futuristic sf characters, including Poul Anderson's, who merge their consciousnesses with computer systems. However, we find that we have posted about this very chapter before. See The Man-Machine Interface.

We expect to return to Anderson's Directorate future history some time tomorrow. Good night.

3 comments:

Sean M. Brooks said...

Kaor, Paul!

And your comments here reminded me of how you have recommended to me Frederick Forsyth's THE FOX, which also deals with both spies and high tech. I'll be keeping in mind getting that book!

Sean

Ketlan said...

Do, Sean. Forsyth is an extremely able writer and if you've any interest in politics and technology, great fun to read. Forsyth's books frequently get excellent film treatment, too. I'm keeping my fingers crossed for this one.

Sean M. Brooks said...

Kaor, Ketlan!

I will, the next time I go to Barnes & Noble (booksellers) I'll look for his books. Esp. his latest, THE FOX.

Sean