Thursday 28 March 2019

Three Science Fiction Classics

Comparing Poul Anderson's Technic History and Tau Zero and HG Wells' The Time Machine (see the previous post): it doesn't get any better than this! At least, I don't think it does.

The Time Machine: a Victorian inventor visits the dying Earth and returns;

The Technic History: human civilizations spread through several spiral arms;

Tau Zero: a human spaceship survives into the next universe.

The blog is interesting to read - I think and hope - because it summarizes and discusses such interesting texts. Wells takes us to the end of life on Earth. Anderson takes us beyond that - and beyond that. Physically, we remain safely at home while, imaginatively, we traverse the cosmos.

Tomorrow, I will continue to accompany the Leonora Christine through interstellar space but, before turning in, will reread more of either Neil Gaiman or Stieg Larsson.

Good night.

1 comment:

Sean M. Brooks said...

Kaor, Paul!

I agree! And, I finally decided I had to start rereading Julian May's THE MANY COLORED LAND, the first volume of her SAGA OF PLIOCENE EXILE, else my constant rereading of Poul Anderson would indefinitely keep me from reading May.

Sean