Monday 25 February 2019

"My Own, My Native Land"

"My Own, My Native Land," the first story in Poul Anderson's New America, is a technical problem story with a technical solution. How can two men push a heavy load when one of them has broken his arm? Answer: Danny builds from local materials a windjammer that can carry the load over water that would have been too dangerous for an aircar or motorboat.

Inevitably, the solution comes to him in a moment of realization:

"Uphill?
"Danny yelled...
"O'Malley started..." (p. 44)

But the story also holds a human problem and its solution. Danny had feared the lowlands since childhood. However, when O'Malley remarks that it is a shame that they cannot take the windjammer with them back to their home plateau of High America, Danny replies:

"'That's all right. We'll be back - here.'" (p. 50)

1 comment:

Sean M. Brooks said...

Kaor, Paul!

I wonder how much * I * could have tolerated the lowlands of Rustum? Almost certainly, alas, only for a short time before I had to wear one of those reduction helmets designed to make the high atmospheric pressure of the lowlands endurable to those used to Earth's atmosphere.

Sean