Saturday 16 February 2019

"What Is Man...?"

Poul Anderson. Orbit Unlimited, part two, 3.

After Joshua Coffin sees the Milky Way, we turn the page to find him quoting the Bible twice:

"...I am that I am..." (p. 54)

"What is man that Thou art mindful of him?" (ibid.)

(Isaac Asimov got a Robot story title out of that second quote.)

Since Coffin is a puritanical Christian, we might get some more Biblical quotes from him and I am flicking ahead to check but I am also just about to go out for a while. Back here later.

1 comment:

Sean M. Brooks said...

Kaor, Paul!

Joshua Coffin certainly strikes me as belonging to one of the more austere strains of Protestantism. And, yet again, we see Anderson quoting the Bible. I'm reminded of how INADEQUATE my "A Note on Anderson's Use of the Bible" was!

Sean