Saturday 23 February 2019

Three Details


I will shortly depart for Manchester, to return this evening.

Reading a book, SM Stirling's Theater Of Spies, not published yet, I might not so much tell you what is there as tell you what to look out for. In ONE and TWO:

a fresh new one-line description of the Milky Way that will join our Milky Way Thread;

the moon making a long glittering path over the sea - we have had such descriptions of light on water before;

three (presumably) delicious ways to eat steak that will join our Food Thread.

Of course, there is also an enemy plot and a daring mission but you don't need me to tell you that.

Back here this evening, I hope.

2 comments:

Sean M. Brooks said...

Kaor, Paul!

And does Stirling repeats Anderson's idiosyncratic (and controverted) use of "glade" describing how light shines on such waters? I saw Anderson using "glade" like that in at least one of the "History of Rustum" stories in NEW AMERICA.

Try as I might, I simply can't see HOW Anderson could have used the word "glade," meaning an open space within a wooded area, for describing how light shines on waters.

Sean

paulshackley2017@gmail.com said...

Sean,
Stirling does not.
I quoted Anderson's "moonglade" in "Elvenveil And Emperor."
Paul.