Tuesday 12 February 2019

Calling The Dead II

When I wrote Calling The Dead, I was trying to remember another example which I have since found. Because it is from Norse mythology, it ia appropriate to quote it here in full:

"But Odin did not try to enter Hela's halls. Instead he turned aside to the long grey barrow where the prophetess Volva the Wise lay buried. Standing beside her grave he began to chant the mighty spells which move the dead, until slowly the earth gaped open and the form of the prophetess rose up above the barrow wrapped in her grave-clothes, her face green and ghastly.
"Then the dead Volva spoke in cold measured tones without moving her jaws or bending her thin lips:
"'What mortal, to me unknown, draws me back by these weary ways?' she asked. 'I have been buried under the snow, I have been washed by the rain, the dew has drenched me. Long have I been dead.'"
-Roger Lancelyn Green, The Saga of Asgard (Penguin Books, Harmondsworth, Middlesex, 1960), Chapter 12, p. 208.

There is an illustration of Volva in the book but I could not find it by googling.

And, to compare great things to small, there is a comparable passage in an sf work:

"'You should not have wakened me,' he said. 'You should have let me sleep.'"
-Clifford Simak, City (London, 1965), p. 188.

7 comments:

Sean M. Brooks said...

Kaor, Paul!

There's also Anderson's retelling of the Orpheus myth, "Goat Song," in a science fictional setting. Both forms shows us a poet/musician trying to bring back his beloved from the dead.

Sean

David Birr said...

Paul and Sean:
Fred Saberhagen did his own version of the Orpheus tale, a short story about a musician using his marvelous voice to paralyze one of the Berserker robot warships and give his captured wife a chance of escape. Faithful to the source material, it didn't end happily.

Sean M. Brooks said...

Kaor, DAVID!

I've read some of the Berserker stories, by Saberhagen and others, but I don't recall that particular story. And retelling of the Orpheus story HAS to end unhappily, else it would contradict the whole point of the tale.

Sean

David Birr said...

Sean:
There are what the fan-fiction community calls "fix-fics," stories in which the author comes up with a way that, for instance, Hamlet can defeat Claudius (without killing half the Danish court), marry Ophelia, and rule Denmark well for the next forty or fifty years. They're typically based on "If only he/she had thought to do X...."

Saberhagen's "Starsong," the tale of Ordell Callison and his wife Eury, was not a fix-fic.

Sean M. Brooks said...

Kaor, DAVID!

I have no objection to WELL DONE "fix-fics," but they will likely be more the exception, not the rule. I'm more inclined to favor the route Saberhagen took in "Starsong."

Sean

paulshackley2017@gmail.com said...

Fix-fics fit as alternative histories.

Sean M. Brooks said...

Kaor, Paul!

I thought of that as well, but I was focusing on "fix-fics" as "fan-fics," stories written by fans rather than by "established" SF authors. But of course some fans will graduate to become science fiction writers as well.

Sean