Saturday 8 September 2018

Elven Forms And Stairs

Poul Anderson, The Byworlder, XII.

"There, in that curving chamber, confronting that dome where elven forms and leaves and blooms crowded the air, they were coming to know one who fared between the stairs." (p. 143)

I have commented on that proofreading error, "stairs," here. I have also referred to the Five Sisters here. Anderson uses the evocative word, "elven," in Elven Gardens and elsewhere. (Scroll down.)

After a while, every word and phrase gains an extra significance.

1 comment:

Sean M. Brooks said...

Kaor, Paul!

It was amusing that the first time I read the bit you quoted, I "interpreted" the word "stairs" as "stars." An example of how I almost unconsciously used context to correct a misprint. And hardly noticed, till you stressed it, that "stairs" was an error.

Sean