Saturday 29 September 2018

The Stars Are Also Fire, Chapter 3

This chapter has a rich vocabulary, some of it invented. I might not get through it all tonight.

A character is called "Venator," Latin for "hunter," as in Canes Venatici, "the hunter's dogs."

"Teramind" (p. 32) does not mean "Terra-mind."

Venator travels on a fahrweg. (p. 42)

A "sophotect" (p. 39) is an Artificial Intelligence.

Luna has not only bistros but also bagnios. (p. 30)

Venator is a "synnoiont" (p. 37), capable of "Synnoiosis" (p.34), partial or complete union with the cybercosm of which the highest point is the Teramind.

The two levels of virtual reality are "vivifer" (p. 39) and quivira.

In Tychopolis on Luna, there is a Tsiolkovsky Prospect. (p. 29)

That is most of it. I might round up some further points tomorrow.

1 comment:

Sean M. Brooks said...

Kaor, Paul!

I knew, from my previous readings of THE STARS ARE ALSO FIRE, that "Teramind" did not mean "Terramind" (however logical a moniker for the AI de facto ruling Earth that would be). But I had to look up your link to clearly realize it referred to a scientific unit of measurement.

And I love the word "sophotect" used for AIs!

"Synnoiont" and "synnoiois" are also cool words, whatever my skepticism about the possibility of merging my consciousness into a "cybercosm."

Sean