Sunday 9 September 2018

Cultural Influences

Poul Anderson, The Byworlder, XIII, p. 152.

Greeks influenced Indian Buddhists who affected China which influenced Europe in the eighteenth century as Africa did later. The Eighteenth Dynasty was the most brilliant period in Egypt because it was briefly influenced by Crete and Syria.

Where have we heard of Eighteenth Dynasty culture before? Anderson readers learn to remember and recognize references. I was about to quote from another Andersonian work but let me leave that one as a quiz question for blog readers. Where have we previously read of cultural inspiration from the Eighteenth Dynasty? I would have gone on to suggest a sequel to another work but to do that now would give the game away. Laters.

3 comments:

Sean M. Brooks said...

Kaor, Paul!

Dang! Now I'm going to have your question about the cultural influence of the XVIII Dynasty of Egypt niggling in the back of my mind! (Smiles) We do see mention of Pharaoh Akhenaten of the later XVIII Dynasty by Commander Abrams near the end of Chapter 18 of ENSIGN FLANDRY.

Sean

paulshackley2017@gmail.com said...

Sean,
Interesting but not what I meant.
Paul.

Sean M. Brooks said...

Kaor, Paul!

I know. You mentioned the CULTURAL influence of the XVIII Dynasty, not a particular king of that family.

Sean