Sunday 9 June 2024

Women In Parallel Reading

God-Emperor of Dune
 
A woman called Siona, whose role I do not fully understand, is being prepared to breed with Duncan Idaho. 

Stieg Larsson's Millennium Trilogy
Lizbeth Salander drives to a showdown with her father, Zala, a worthy successor of Blofeld, but I remember that outcome, as who would not? Death and resurrection, no less.

Fire Time, X
Jill Conway has a date (?) with Yuri Dejerine and wonders whether the married Ian Sparling is in love with her. By glancing ahead, I have ascertained that Jill will end this chapter by throwing Dejerine out, then weeping. Something to do with him not supporting Ishtar. 

However, I am getting to the switching off the blog and retiring to other reading time of the evening. Lizbeth calls. But Poul Anderson's characters are always with us as we have just seen when we were pulled back into "The Master Key."

"We do not know where we are going. Nor do most of us care. It is enough that we are on our way.
"-Le Matelot."
-Poul Anderson, Trader To The Stars (New York, 1966), p. 5.

3 comments:

Sean M. Brooks said...

Kaor, Paul!

I know you are a fan of Larsson's work, but there are other writers who are just as worthy of being read. Two examples I've thought of being Oscar Wilde's THE PICTURE OF DORIAN GRAY, and Rudyard Kipling's THE LIGHT THAT FAILED.

Alas, most recent "mainstream" writers of fiction simply doesn't appeals to me, for reasons I've discussed in other blog comboxes here.

I ardently hope what the fictional Le Matelot wrote about becomes literally true, as it might if Elon Musk founds his colony on Mars. Because any decisive action leading to mankind seriously getting off this rock would inevitably and massively shake up the world. The opening up of new frontiers might shake our decadent and mostly boring literature and stagnant culture out of its doldrums!

Ad astra! Sean

paulshackley2017@gmail.com said...

OK. I'll lay off the Larsson!

Sean M. Brooks said...

Kaor, Paul!

But I was not saying you should not mention or discuss Larsson's works.

Ad astra! Sean