Saturday 29 June 2024

At This Hour

John Milton wrote a sonnet beginning: "Cromwell, our chief of men..." (here)

William Wordsworth wrote a sonnet beginning: "Milton! Thou shouldst be living at this hour..." (here)

Let me add: "Anderson, our chief sf writer...," "Anderson! You should be living in this century..."

I have heard or read that there is evidence that:

there are large asymmetrical objects in orbit around a nearby star;

there is a Dyson sphere around another star (these might be the same story);

there are energy traces in space that might have been left by warp drive spaceships.

If any high tech is active nearby, then it should be detectable. A relativistic spaceship approaching light speed would have to be visible as a massive artificial energy source. Is it possible that humanoid aliens will arrive soon in FTL spaceships and incorporate Earth into an interstellar empire? I do not think so if only because nothing ever happens as it had been imagined, e.g., the first Moon Landing. We have not met Selenites or Martians, Barsoomians or Malacandrians, or discovered an oceanic Venus but we might just possibly be starting to move into space at last. Let me do two things:

(i) confidently predict that no humanoid aliens will arrive in our lifetimes;

(ii) acknowledge that I could be proved wrong about this tomorrow.

Meanwhile, what kind of sf would Poul Anderson be writing if he were still at work today?

6 comments:

Sean M. Brooks said...

Kaor, Paul!

I don't think all non-humans will be humanoids or centauroids. I can imagine some being as odd looking as the Sigman seen in THE BYWORLDER.

I've tried, but I simply couldn't "get into" Milton's PARADISE LOST. Despite some interesting passages it was a hard struggle to read even once.

I vastly prefer Dante's DIVINE COMEDY, which I've read in 3 different translations. He knew how to tell a story!

Ad astra! Sean

Sean M. Brooks said...

Kaor, Paul!

While I've not read Lady Fraser's CROMWELL, I did read three of her other books: MARY QUEEN OF SCOTS, ROYAL CHARLES: CHARLES II AND THE RESTORATION, and FAITH AND TREASON.

It's plain from A MIDSUMMER TEMPEST that Anderson favored the Royalist side in the English Civil War, but we get some not totally unsympathetic glimpses of Cromwell in it, before he became the monster and tyrant of our timeline.

Ad astra! Sean

Sean M. Brooks said...

Kaor, Paul!

I too am fascinated by these speculations on how traces of non-human tech has possibly been detected.

Will aliens land in St. Peter's Piazza at the Vatican? (Smiles)

Ad astra! Sean

Sean M. Brooks said...

Kaor, Paul!

Yet again, because of my recent quoting from Dante's COMEDY, I'm reminded of how dissatisfied I was by Milton's PARADISE LOST. Compared to Dante's work PL felt heavy, clunky, cumbersome, and ponderous, a hard slog to read.

Altho Rudyard Kipling never wrote any epic poems on the scale of Dante's and Milton's work, many of his verses pleased me. One example, which also touches on religious beliefs, is "Cold Iron." That poem has a very "high," orthodox Christology. In this and many other verses, Kipling wrote with a lightness of touch, and with striking images and similes which I think would please Dante.

And I think Dante would also like Anderson's own poetry, for similar reasons. Such as "The Queen of Air and Darkness" and "Prayer in War."

Ad astra! Sea

Sean M. Brooks said...

Kaor, Paul!

Am I being too hard on Milton? I've been thinking lately that he was the Asimov of poetry, with that not being a commendation!

Ad astra! Sean

paulshackley2017@gmail.com said...

Sean,

The first 3 of the 12 books of PL have good passages.

Paul.