Sunday 7 April 2024

Other Reading And Neutron Stars

After posting Neutron Star last night, I read in The Mind's I, edited by Douglas R. Hofstadter and Daniel C. Dennett, that, on the surface of a neutron star, nuclear particles combine and recombine so rapidly that, theoretically, they might form minute self-replicators whose lives would pass in an eye-blink with civilizations rising and falling in a few Earth days. This reminded me that I should have referred to the neutron star inhabitants in Poul Anderson's The Avatar:

The Avatar VI: the jumps, 1-4

The neutron star is in jump 4.

I had also discussed the black star in The Enemy Stars in Neutrons

In The Avatar, Anderson acknowledges Frank Drake as the originator of the idea of life on pulsars/neutron stars.

3 comments:

Sean M. Brooks said...

Kaor, Paul!

And I will look up Jump 4 in THE AVATAR.

And there's also the equally mind blowing flaming plasma beings we see in "Kyrie."

Ad astra Sean

Jim Baerg said...

See "Dragon's Egg" by Robert L. Forward.
He uses exactly that idea in the novel. A neutron star passes close enough to the solar system for an STL human expedition can get to it and communicate with such a civilization.

Sean M. Brooks said...

Kaor, Jim!

Then I need to look up the works of Robert Forward.

I have wished Barnard's Star and Alpha Centauri were "only" two light years from Sol--because even with only our current tech humans could travel to these stars.

Ad astra! Sean