Saturday 13 April 2024

"The Bitter Bread" And The Heavens

I find that I have summarized the technical problem in "The Bitter Bread" in The Bitter Bread II.

`"The Bitter Bread," The Peregrine and The Enemy Stars all quote:

"The heavens declare the glory of God..." (pp. 98-99) (see here.) (Scroll down.)

I am finding "The Bitter Bread" rather difficult reading both because of the complexity of the technical problem and because of the Puritanism of the Protectorate regime. I will soon move on to "The Ways of Love."

We do not know how the universes are distributed in the multiverse. Maybe similar universes are closer together? Thus, someone departing from the Old Phoenix to visit a Protectorate timeline might wind up in the wrong one? Or something?

1 comment:

Sean M. Brooks said...

Kaor, Paul!

I too found the technical problem around which "The Bitter Bread" was built hard to understand. But that should encourage me to soon reread it again.

The "Puritanism" of that story did not bother me. Because I would agree with much of it. I think the Protectorate of "Bitter" had its origins in former states of the US like Texas and Arkansas where Baptists and other evangelical Protestants were/are esp. numerous.
Meaning their ideals/beliefs would help shape the post-US Protectorate.

Ad astra! Sean