Friday 5 April 2024

Borges

Poul Anderson, Harvest The Fire (New York, 1997), PROLOGUE, pp. 9-31.

Jorges Luis Borges, Borges and I IN Douglas R. Hofstadter and Daniel C. Dennett (Eds.), The Mind's I (London, 1981) AT I, A Sense of Self, 1, pp. 19-20.

In Anderson (above), Jesse Nichol, while in Argentina, pays to meet and converse with a conscious simulation of the blind Jorges Luis Borges.

In Borges (above), the still sighted Borges writes:

"The other one, the one called Borges, is the one that things happen to. I walk through the streets of Buenos Aires and stop for a moment, perhaps mechanically now, to look at the arch of an entrance hall and the grillwork on the gate; I know of Borges from the mail and see his name on a list of professors or in a biographical dictionary." (p. 19)

Borges differentiates himself as a private person from his public persona whereas Anderson creates a fiction within a fiction.

1 comment:

Sean M. Brooks said...

Kaor, Paul!

I've heard of Borges but never read any of his books. It's impossible to read all the books that I should, esp. those in languages other than English.

Halfway thru rereading THE LONG WAY HOME.

Ad astra! Sean