Wednesday 11 October 2023

The Two Teams

Another parallel:

Nicholas van Rijn is the employer of the trade pioneer crew and becomes the grandfather-in-law of team leader, David Falkayn;

Dominic Flandry is the patron of the unnamed new team and the father of team member, Diana Crowfeather.

Van Rijn's granddaughter, Coya Conyon, joined the trade pioneer crew on marrying Falkayn but there are no stories set during that period.

I think that we have to regard Targovi as the leader of the "new team" but we do not know what form the team would have taken if this subseries had continued which I wish it had.

4 comments:

Sean M. Brooks said...

Kaor, Paul!

Yes, Targovi was the leader of the "new team" in THE GAME OF EMPIRE because he was far older and more experienced than Diana. To say nothing of being more "worldly" than Fr. Axor!

Btw, did you see my new comment in the "Aenean Subcultures" combox? I thought one two more points could be made there.

Ad astra! Sean

paulshackley2017@gmail.com said...

Sean,

I saw it. Maybe that was some serious futurological speculation in an otherwise unserious series.

Paul.

S.M. Stirling said...

I ditto the desire for more stories; but an author has only so many hours (and years, alas).

Sean M. Brooks said...

Kaor, Paul and Mr. Stirling!

Paul: I know you don't much care for the Hoka stories of Anderson and Dickson, but I like them. Not all SF, to exaggerate, has to be grimly serious and ponderously solemn. Serious points can be found in the humorous Hoka stories if you look for them!

Mr. Stirling: I agree, which is why PA turned to other ideas and themes after THE GAME OF EMPIRE.

Still, one or two "short" Technic stories after GAME would have been nice.

Ad astra! Sean