Thursday 26 October 2023

The Flandry Series

The way that I think about Poul Anderson's Dominic Flandry series does not match the way that the series is presented in Baen Books' The Technic Civilization Saga. Volume IV is entitled Captain Flandry: Defender of the Terran Empire yet begins with a story that does not mention Flandry followed by a novel that merely mentions Flandry. Clearly, these two works should be in an earlier volume. Then Captain Flandry... would begin properly with "Tiger by the Tail," currently its third story, which is in fact the earliest published instalment of the Captain Flandry series. After that, the Captain Flandry stories follow in their correct order. However, Volume IV ends with "A Message in Secret" and Volume V begins with "The Plague of Masters." The latter is a direct sequel to the former and belongs in the same volume with it. More on all this later.

4 comments:

Sean M. Brooks said...

Kaor, Paul!

All this makes sense to me, and I would put THE DAY OF THEIR RETURN before "Outpost of Empire" because I think that story came later than THE DAY.

Ad astra! Sean

paulshackley2017@gmail.com said...

Sean,

Why do you think this?

Paul.

Sean M. Brooks said...

Kaor, Paul!

In "Outpost" John Ridenour mentions the destruction of the planet Starkad in such as to make me think it occurred not long before arriving on Freehold. That would seem to place THE DAY OF THEIR RETURN as being earlier, since the events in that story was only two or three years after THE REBEL WORLDS.

Very close together, I agree, maybe even contemporaneous.

Ad astra! Sea

Sean M. Brooks said...

Kaor, Paul!

Now, to my irritation, I'm undecided! I'm wondering if "Outpost of Empire" should be thought of as happening before THE DAY OF THEIR RETURN.

Ad astra! Sean