Wednesday 11 October 2023

Targovi Speaks

The Game of Empire, CHAPTER FIVE.

When Targovi and his passengers in Moonjumper hear the revolutionary proclamation:

"'Eyada shkor!' Targovi breathed. 'Once I read of an ancient tombstone on Terra. Upon it stood, "I expected this, but not so soon."'" (p. 261)

Two points of interest:

two untranslated words of Toborko;

I think that I have read about that Terran tombstone somewhere else but have not been able to find it by googling so does anyone know where it is? and that has to be it for this evening. (Is it grammatically correct to have a question mark in the middle of a sentence?)

(Saturday of this week will be a day trip to the monastery - missing some of Lancaster Music Festival - so there will not be any blogging.)

5 comments:

Sean M. Brooks said...

Kaor, Paul!

I too tried googling for that line quoted by Targovi, but failed to find it. Maybe Anderson coined it?

Ad astra! Sean

S.M. Stirling said...

No, I've heard it before myself. Something to do with W.C. Fields, IIRC.

Sean M. Brooks said...

Kaor, Mr. Stirling!

I knew I came across it "somewhere"!

Ad astra! Sean

S.M. Stirling said...

Ah, looked it up -- it turns out that there are multiple gravestones with that inscription.

Sean M. Brooks said...

Kaor, Mr. Stirling!

Many of us will probably feel like that when it's "our" turn! (Smiles wryly)

Ad astra! Sean