Saturday 16 January 2021

It's That Man Again

The Man Who Counts, XI.

Nicholas van Rijn invents (I think) the term, "'...gout of Judas!'" (p. 212)

Do we count this as yet another Biblical reference or just accept that "Judas" has become part of the language, thus that the phrase is only indirectly Biblical? It is not, after all, a direct quotation. Searching the blog discloses a long history of references to Judas. See here. (Scroll down.) Perhaps the most apposite is in a post entitled Judas. I always like it when we start in the Technic History and wind up in the Time Patrol series.

A short post can mean that I have an idea for a post but little time so I practice brevity which is the soul of wit. I said this before (see here), not realizing that I was quoting Shakespeare. See here.

1 comment:

Sean M. Brooks said...

Kaor, Paul!

Considering how MUCH Nicholas van Rijn ate and drank (when he could), I am surprised he didn't get gout, high blood pressure, cirrhosis of the liver, heart disease, etc.! Of course I know that was because the advanced medicine of his time enabled him to fight off such things.

Ad astra! Sean