Sunday 31 January 2021

Approaching The End Of A STONE IN HEAVEN

Googling for images can have random results. I had another search for A Stone In Heaven internal illustrations and found two more which had not come up for me before. One (see the attached image) shows a scene that I had described in "Lamps, Frescos And Stoves," here, so it would have been helpful to have had it at that stage in the first place.

I am rereading the elegiac closing chapters of A Stone In Heaven and expect to find something new to post about them. After that, where can we go next but back into the very rich text of The Game Of Empire, to complete the Admiral Flandry diptych? Experience so far shows that even a text reread relatively recently can yield much material for new blog posts. There might be an end to this process but, if so, we have not reached it yet.

3 comments:

Sean M. Brooks said...

Kaor, Paul!

I have two copies of the Ace Books edition of A STONE IN HEAVEN, one the mass market paperback, and the other larger trade paperback. I got the latter mostly because I would be able to see the illustrations better.

I agree with what you said about how MUCH can be found in Anderson's works deserving of commentary. I hope you might take a look at some of the middle Flandry stories as well.

Ad astra! Sean

paulshackley2017@gmail.com said...

Sean,

Well, why not? We have been over them before but they are far from exhausted.

Paul.

Sean M. Brooks said...

Kaor, Paul!

I agree! And, alas, too many of Anderson's stories and essays has never yet been collected and republished. Most of the items listed in my "Uncollected Works of Poul Anderson" article has not been read by me.

Ad astra! Sean