Sunday 12 July 2020

An Answer To A Linguistic Query

See "A Linguistic Query And An Aspiration," here.

I asked how Brannock had learned human languages. The question had been answered earlier when Brannock retrieved a memory bank from his crashed aircraft:

"He extracted the information and stored it in his own database.
"A set of languages. Human languages, although none he had ever heard of. Yes, very interesting.
"'I'd better get hold of those people,' he muttered."
-Genesis, PART TWO, VI, 2, p. 167.

It would have helped if, when Brannock conversed with Kalava, Anderson had reminded us that Brannock acquired his linguistic knowledge from a retrieved memory bank. However, the conversation was narrated from Kalava's point of view so this was not possible. The reader, in this case me, needs to keep track of events.

1 comment:

Sean M. Brooks said...

Kaor, Paul!

Dang! This was a small, but important detail I completely missed in my past readings of GENESIS.

Ad astra! Sean