Sunday 8 August 2021

1914-1919

1914-1919 is a busy period for the Time Patrol:

1914 Great War begins
1915 Sinking of the Lusitania
1916 Dublin Easter Rising
1917 Two Russian Revolutions; US enters War
1918 War ends
1919 Post-War industrial unrest and social upheavals
 
In 1912, in the build-up to the War, Manse Everard secures the Altamont case.
 
In 1914, the Patrol guards the proximate cause of the War.

We can read mainstream fiction set in that approximate period while also remembering the Time Patrol perspective. Susan Howatch's Penmarric covers 1890-1945: the last eleven years of Victoria's reign and both World Wars. Howatch's Cashelmara covers 1859-1891, earlier and shorter but also including several major conflicts.

Like most people, Howatch's characters live entirely within their historical period. Anderson's Time Patrol agents pass through the late nineteenth and early twentieth centuries and perceive them from the perspective of a million years.

5 comments:

Sean M. Brooks said...

Kaor, Paul!

What with Covid still being so much on our minds I would have included this under 1918: "Influenza pandemic of 1918-20." One estimate from 2018 suggests that as many as 17 million people worldwide died from the influenza pandemic.

Ad astra! Sean

S.M. Stirling said...

It is an interesting period -- that's why I picked it for my tribute story in the anthology.

Sean M. Brooks said...

Kaor, Mr. Stirling!

Your contribution to MULTIVERSE, "A Slip in Time," was the single best story in the book! And if there's second MULTIVERSE, I hope you get invited to write another contribution, perhaps about Dominic Flandry?

Ad astra! Sean

S.M. Stirling said...

Flandry possibly - though the Patrol is my favorite of Poul’s settings.

Sean M. Brooks said...

Kaor, Mr. Stirling!

Quite understandably so! But I do have a soft spot for Dominic Flandry. Probably because he's so different from me. And the Chilton Books edition of AGENT OF THE TERRAN EMPIRE was of Anderson's books that I read. So I was "introduced" to Flandry when I was about 14. Meaning
"Tiger By The Tail" made a deep impression on me!

Ad astra! Sean