Saturday 17 October 2020

What He Was

There Will Be Time.

Jack Havig has not sought the historical Jesus because:

"'...what he was, or if he was, makes only an academic difference. What counts is what people through the ages have believed. My life expectancy isn't enough for me to do the pure research I'd like.'" (VI, p. 56)

He needs the Time Patrol longevity treatment or a timeline in which the immortality mutation of The Boat Of A Million Years is combined with the time travel mutation of There Will Be Time.

Three interesting ideas: the individual, his image and their interaction. I remember from Howard Fast's Citizen Tom Paine that Paine's life alternated between fame and obscurity. What is it like to have been famous? John Lennon appreciated being able to walk through streets unmolested - until he was assassinated. Margaret Thatcher lived in obscurity while Thatcherism continued. One theory about Jesus is that he survived crucifixion and went to live elsewhere but I do not buy it. In Alan Moore's V For Vendetta, Evey does not unmask the dead V because she feels that that would diminish him. She prefers to think of all the people that he might have been rather than to learn which particular person he had been. I do not think that this would diminish him. I would want to know who he was while still appreciating what he had been to the populace. I would seek out Jesus and Gautama if I were a time traveler.

3 comments:

Sean M. Brooks said...

Kaor, Paul!

You are right, Jack Havig could not expect an unusually long life span. I never thought of that before.

I saw a recent picture of her Majesty lately. Compared to even a few years ago, she is showing her age rather painfully.

And I am glad you would have had the courage to seek out Christ if you were a time traveler.

Ad astra! Sean

paulshackley2017@gmail.com said...

Sean,

How many people were born, lived and died with Victoria on the throne and, since 1952, with Elizabeth II on the throne? I SHOULD outlive her reign but I cannot be certain even of that.

Paul.

Sean M. Brooks said...

Kaor, Paul!

Untold millions in both cases! Esp. in Victoria's reign, considering the much shorter average life span in her days. And as you said, we are uncertain of our own life spans.

Ad astra! Sean