Monday 26 October 2020

Anderson And Gaiman Quote Marlowe

"Once upon a time there was a king who set himself above the foreign merchants. What he did is of no account now; it was long ago and on another planet, and besides, the wench is dead."
-Poul Anderson, "The Master Key" IN Anderson, David Falkayn: Star Trader (Riverdale, NY, 2010), pp. 273-327 AT p. 275.
 
Matthew the Raven: I think I like being a dream better than I liked being a man.
-Neil Gaiman, The Sandman: The Doll's House (New York, 1995), PART SIX, p. 201, panel 8.
 
Matthew: I did some rotten things near the end. You know how it is.
Let's just say I'm glad all that stuff is in the past. And in another life...

Gilbert: "But that was in another country, and besides, the wench is dead." I see.
-Gaiman, op. cit., panel 9.
 
FRIAR BARNARDINE. Thou hast committed—

     BARABAS. Fornication:  but that was in another country;
     And besides, the wench is dead.
-copied from here.

1 comment:

Sean M. Brooks said...

Kaor, Paul!

I remember that bit from the beginning of "The Master Key," but not that Anderson took part of it from Marlowe's play THE JEW OF MALTA. Talk about obscure literary allusions I had never known before!

Any COMPLETE COLLECTED WORKS OF POUL ANDERSON will need to have a gloss here explaining the Marlowe connection.

Ad astra! Sean