Saturday 25 November 2017

Scene-Setting

The opening pages or paragraphs of a work of futuristic science fiction set the scene by referring to unfamiliar aspects of a future society that we will come to understand as we read further. Thus, in Poul Anderson's Three Worlds To Conquer, a space battleship, the USS Vega:

"'...was on patrol near Venus when the revolution broke, and was put to searching for an orbital base the Sam Halls were believed to have somewhere in that sector.'"
-Poul Anderson, Three Worlds To Conquer (London, 1966), Chapter 1, p. 8.

OK. Sf readers catch on fast:

there is regular interplanetary travel;
the United States still exist;
there has just been a revolution;
the revolutionaries were nicknamed the "Sam Halls"?

Yes. In fact, there had been a short story about the Sam Halls' revolution (see here) although I did not learn this until many years later.

Incidentally, my copy of Three Worlds To Conquer is a "Mayflower-Dell Paperback." I am much indebted to Mayflower-Dell because the first James Blish novel that I read was their edition of Earthman, Come Home. For many years, Blish was superior to Anderson in my estimation. I have come to appreciate Anderson considerably more than I did and, of course, his output was much bigger.

3 comments:

Sean M. Brooks said...

Kaor, Paul!

Hmmm, for a long time you thought Blish was a better writer than Anderson? What made you think that way, IIMA? Was it because many of Blish's stories seemed less action/adventure oriented than those of Anderson?

Sean

paulshackley2017@gmail.com said...

Sean,
Possibly that. Also, I not read enough Anderson and had not begun to appreciate his writing properly. It took me a few attempts to get into A MIDSUMMER TEMPEST which is one of his best. It was a long time ago.
Paul.

Sean M. Brooks said...

Kaor, Paul!

All readers are different, and react to different writers in varied ways. I think I was 13 or 14 when I first read a book by Anderson: the original Chilton Books edition of AGENT OF THE TERRAN EMPIRE. That alone was enough to get me hooked. It was probably the action/adventure in his stories which first appealed to me, and then the deeper, more serious aspects and ideas to be found in them which kept me reading them and his other works.

I did have some difficulty with his four HARVEST OF STARS books and GENESIS: the ideas, concepts, etc., found in them were so strange to me that I needed to reread them a second time before I could properly appreciate them.

Sean