Saturday 25 November 2017

Knowledge And Action

Again, I am rereading Stieg Larsson's Millennium Trilogy for a break from blogging but Larsson's text suggests something relevant.

How often does this happen? We want to understand why someone acted as he did on a particular occasion. We know something that would have motivated his action if he had known of it. Therefore we assume that he did know of it. But could he have known of it at the time of his action?

To be more specific, a while back I contacted an author about an error in one of his novels. I cannot remember the exact details but it was something like this. It seemed both to the reader and to the other characters that character X had died. Then we the readers learned that X was in fact still alive. Then character Y acted on the knowledge that X was still alive. However, at that point in the narrative, Y could not yet have learned that X was still alive and therefore should still have thought that he was dead. The author, Col Buchanan, accepted my point and said that he would try to revise the text for the paperback edition.

And my point is that Poul Anderson's many fictional texts are free of this kind of inconsistency. Sean M. Brooks found one prima facie contradiction: Terran Intelligence learned of Aycharaych's telepathy in The Day Of their Return yet later were unaware of it in "Honorable Enemies." However, a friend of Sean's suggested a possible explanation. See here.

1 comment:

Sean M. Brooks said...

Kaor, Paul!

Thanks for the nice mention of my article and how I incorporated in it a suggestion by a friend which helped a lot to rationalize the contradiction I found by comparing THE DAY OF THEIR RETURN with "Honorable Enemies."

I think I PERSONALLY influenced how Poul Anderson wrote in two ways. He seems to have adopted my use of "usurper/usurpers" for A STONE IN HEAVEN and THE GAME OF EMPIRE from my use of those words in letters I wrote to him. And in one letter I used the homely simile "tying up loose ends." Which Anderson seems to have taken a fancy for and later used in THE SHIELD OF TIME. I admit to being pleased at the thought I may have personally influenced Anderson's writing!

I agree, while eager frequently brought possible contradictions to Anderson's attention, there are surprisingly few of them in his works. And he took such "corrections" in good humor!

Sean