Thursday 16 November 2017

Realizations

For reasons that make sense at the time, David Falkayn pretends that he needs privacy for meditation. His acquaintance with Adzel enables him to waffle about Buddhism:

the purer Buddhist sects are agnostic;
they do not require belief in reincarnation in the usual sense;
nirvana can be attained before death and consists of -

Falkayn is interrupted. I would like to know what he had been going to say about nirvana. Instead, SM Stirling's Wiccan character, Orlaith, gives us some insight into spiritual realization:

a man whom she kills with her mystical Sword looks as if a veil has been lifted, revealing to him the absolute truth of his existence;

Wiccans expect such a realization after death;

the only post-death punishment is full knowledge of the cause and consequence of all your actions.

"Right now she was realizing that that might be just as serious as the Christians' hellfire."
-SM Stirling, The Desert And The Blade (New York, 2016), Chapter Twenty-Seven, p. 678.

Maybe it is the Christian's hellfire?

"Nothing burns in Hell but the self." (See here.)

I think that any such realizations precede death but religions give us stories about a hereafter.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

Kaor, Paul!

I was Toastmaster of the Day today for USPTO Toastmasters, and not long before the meeting, we found that one of our scheduled speakers wasn't ready to give his speech, so I volunteered to speak as well as run most of the meeting. I made some notes for a speech about Poul Anderson and his works, and delivered that as my speech; it went over well, I'm happy to report.

Best Regards,
Nicholas D. Rosen

Sean M. Brooks said...

Kaor, Paul and Nicholas!

Paul: and Princess Orlaith was right to at least briefly wonder if the Christians were right, after all. Hell is the self chosen state of a soul's eternal hatred of and rejection of God.

Nicholas: Cool beans great! What was your speech about? How exactly did you talk about Poul Anderson and his works?

Regards! Sean

paulshackley2017@gmail.com said...

Nicholas,
Maybe you mentioned this blog? If not, next time!
Paul.

Anonymous said...

Kaor, Paul!

If I recall correctly, I did not mention this blog during the speech, but did so later, as we were winding up the meeting.

Best Regards,
Nicholas

Anonymous said...

Kaor, Sean!

Succinctly -- it was a five to seven minute speech. I mentioned my mother getting me a copy of SATAN'S WORLD when I was maybe ten years old, and how I found the first page or two tough going, not being the kind of writing that I was used to, but how I became a fan, and haunted libraries and bookstores for more books by Poul Anderson. I talked about how his stories were science fiction with real science: astronomy, economics, anthropology, and more. I said that he could present different perspectives on an issue, and used the STAR FOX/FIRE TIME pair as an example, and how he had gone from being a young liberal to being a libertarian conservative, and how, although never a Communist, he had presented a Communist sympathetically in THE DEVIL'S GAME. Stuff like that.

Best Regards,
Nicholas D. Rosen

Sean M. Brooks said...

Kaor, Nicholas!

Very nice, very interesting! And I agree with what you said about Poul Anderson and how and what he wrote about.

I agree, SOME Communists could be decent persons, like the man you alluded to in THE DEVIL'S GAME. But such persons would never last long in any Communist REGIME--either they became corrupted by power and fanaticism OR people like Lenin, Stalin, Mao, Castro, Pol Pot, etc., soon LIQUIDATED them.

Sean

paulshackley2017@gmail.com said...

Nicholas,
A very good introduction.
Paul.