Wednesday, 22 July 2026

SM Stirling's LORDS OF CREATION Trilogy

Volume III, which has almost the same title as the Trilogy, should arrive tomorrow but first I should reread Volumes I and II which I have retrieved from the room where a house guest is sleeping. There is also a short story with the same planetary setting as Volume II but I seem no longer to have the relevant anthology. Books are shed during a house move, especially to a smaller house. 

Volume I is The Sky People, which has the same title as one of Poul Anderson's Maurai short stories. 

Can I say anything more about this series now? I will be busy some of the time tomorrow and out of town all day on Friday.

I thought that The Sky People conveyed the same sense of adventure in a new world as Stirling's Conquistador and The Peshawar Lancers.

HG Wells pioneered alternative histories in Men Like Gods and A Modern Utopia. We are still in the grand sf tradition.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Kaor, Paul!

Have fun rereading THE SKY PEOPLE (a homage to Anderson?) and IN THE COURTS OF THE CRIMSOM KINGS before getting to THE LORDS OF CREATION (which I loved!).

It's since been replaced but I still have absurdly strong regrets about somehow losing my old copy of Anderson's THE SHIELD OF TIME. I didn't even have the excuse of moving to another house!

Ad astra! Sean

S.M. Stirling said...

The series 'tis my tribute to the 'planetary adventure' period of SF.

Anonymous said...

Kaor, Mr. Stirling!

And I loved those books! Far better than dreary stuff like Brunner's STAND ON ZANZIBAR.

Ad astra! Sean