Thursday, 23 July 2026

Planetary Adventurers

In Poul Anderson's Harvest Of Stars, a virtual reality features John Carter on Mars. See:

Two Virtual Realities

Is this Anderson's only reference to Edgar Rice Burroughs (ERB)?

In a Known Space story by Larry Niven, a murderer on Mars is called John Carter, although Niven's text understates the name.

In his Acknowledgements for The Sky People, SM Stirling includes the pulpsters who created:

John Carter
"Wrong Way" Carson of Venus

I am sufficiently familiar with ERB to recognize Carter and Carson but not "Nobs" who is mentioned on p. 62.

3 comments:

S.M. Stirling said...

Yeah, vivid immersive 'reality' programs will be a standing menace. All the attractions of books, but less imagination necessary.

Sean M. Brooks said...

Kaor, Paul and Mr. Stirling!

Paul: I've tried, but aside from the example you've found I can't think of any allusions to the works of ERB to those of Anderson. I skimmed thru some of the chapters set on Mars in THE FLEET OF STARS and found none.

Mr. Stirling: If I can go by Peter Jackson's abominable movies I hope I will not find those "those vivid immersive 'reality' programs" tempting. Give me good, interesting books any day of the week!

Ad astra! Sean

S.M. Stirling said...

Sean: you're an exception.