In a prophetic tradition, it is necessary to be neither polytheist nor atheist but monotheist. Also, monotheism can become monist but this is regarded as heretical whereas, in a contemplative tradition, it is possible to be polytheist, monotheist, atheist or monist! Vaishnavites (Hindu worshippers of Vishnu) mythologize the Buddha, founder of an atheist/monotheist tradition, as an avatar of their deity, a role that he shares with Krishna. I really dig spiritual diversity. We can practice alongside others who reflect reality differently. Traditions coexist in Anderson's Terran Empire.
Thursday, 9 July 2026
Traditions
In Poul Anderson's Technic History, one large quadrupedal Wodenite, Adzel, converts to Mahayana Buddhism and another, Axor, later, to Jerusalem Catholicism. We welcome this re-use of a fictional species which adds substance and continuity to a future history series. Individuals, then planets and their inhabitants, recur while historical periods pass. The species re-used most frequently in the Technic History are Merseians and Ythrians. Each of these species has its own distinctive polytheism and monotheism which need not concern us here. I wanted to focus on the Terrestrial Indian contemplative and Abrahamic prophetic traditions represented by Adzel and Axor.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
13 comments:
Kaor, Paul!
It is puzzling how Buddha's philosophy, which evinces little interest in questions about God or gods accrued so many of the beliefs typical of religions. I think Stirling said that was because it was the only way to convince people to take any interest in Buddhism.
Ad astra! Sean
Sean,
It is not puzzling. People naturally thought like that then.
Paul.
Kaor, Paul!
But it was not how an upper-class Indian aristocrat like Buddha thought.
Ad astra! Sean
But it was how populations thought.
I'm convinced that most people need a religion. The way atheists make -that- into what is in effect a religion is an illustration of the point! I -don't- need a religion, but I'm rather emotionally unusual.
Kaor, Paul and Mr. Stirling!
Paul: It's Buddha I have in mind, not Buddhists 400 years later.
Mr. Stirling: Well, you did once say that if Christ appeared to you as He had to St. Paul you would at once be converted, become a believer. Because you would not doubt the evidence of your senses. Which reminded me of what St. Thomas the Doubter said!
Ad astra! Sean
Sean,
No, it's not. You referred to how his philosophy accrued religious beliefs.
The Fourth Gospel account of St Thomas is not historical. Jesus being made to say, "Blessed are those who have not seen and yet have believed..." is really bad.
Paul.
Sean: Yeah, I believe the evidence of my senses.
Kaor, Paul and Mr. Stirling!
Paul: Because we got sidetracked from Buddhism to Buddha. My view remains those religious accretions got added to Buddhism to make a dry and abstract philosophy more interesting to ordinary people.
Disagree, what you said about John's Gospel. And I absolutely agree with what Christ said.
Mr. Stirling: Most times believing the evidence of our senses is the right way to go.
Not always tho! We can know that 2 + 2 = 4 without needing to see the numbers.
Ad astra! Sean
Sean,
I think we're just repeating ourselves about the Buddha.
Disagree. (Can we please stop saying that?) Believe without seeing? In any case, Christ did not say it. Can you not see that the whole of the Fourth Gospel was written by members (plural) of a later generation to differentiate their Gentile religion from what they called "the Jews"?
Believing and knowing are different.
Paul.
Kaor, Paul!
And I don't believe what you said about Christ and John's Gospel. Of course, it has theological development, a development based on the teachings of the Messiah.
Ad astra! Sean
Sean,
I do believe what I said about John's Gospel. Read Maurice Casey's account of it. It contains theological developments which go beyond Jesus' Jewish context as well as completely invented unhistorical stories and antisemitism towards "the Jews." Invented stories do not mean lies. Convinced of the Resurrection, the Evangelists thought that they could urge their congregations to believe in it by telling stories about it. That was how people wrote history then.
Paul.
Kaor, Paul!
Where we differ is whether or not the Gospels/NT meant what they say when declaring there were actual, supernatural events. Such as the BVM being asked to assent to the Incarnation, or the actual Resurrection of Christ. You agree with those who deny that. I do not
Deadlock and impasse.
Ad astra! Sean
Post a Comment