Wednesday 8 July 2020

The Years Will Not Return

(The Book of Genesis translated into Irish. Genesis is the first book of Moses although "Ceud" means "one hundred." I have not yet found any explanation for this. Later: Sheila has confirmed from a Scots Gaelic dictionary that "ceud" means both "one hundred" and "first.")

Genesis, PART ONE, V, 1.

Reflections by Laurinda Ashcroft that could have been expressed in any work of fiction or literature regardless of genre:

"And the years will not return... Sometimes, lying awake at night, I miss the girl I was. Less her heedless health, dizzying joyfulness, even the quick sharp sorrows, than her dreams that knew no bounds." (p. 44)

"Bid time return."

I prefer the experience of age to the inexperience of youth but at the same time I do not denigrate anyone younger than me, on the contrary. The "Generation Gap" was an abomination of my youth.

Dreams can remain boundless.

1 comment:

Sean M. Brooks said...

Kaor, Paul!

Perhaps old age, mentally speaking, is what happens when a person refuses to have any high or soaring thoughts? For me, that well might take the form of wanting to get OFF this rock, or at least hoping that will be done by others. And of wondering what is OUT there, among the stars.

Ad astra! Se