Wednesday 15 July 2020

A Shared Universe

The Man-Kzin Wars series comprises at least fifteen collections and three novels. The first volume and collection, published in 1988, is called The Man-Kzin Wars, not Man-Kzin Wars I. It contains:

an Introduction by Niven;
the original kzinti story by Niven;
one short novel each by Poul Anderson and Dean Ing.

I confess to following the works of Poul Anderson, not the kzinti for their own sakes. However, as I remember it, Anderson's three Man-Kzin Wars stories connect with three by Jerry Pournelle & SM Stirling so rereading might be prolonged.

Anderson is as at home in a borrowed universe as in his own multiverse. I remember very little of his Man-Kzin Wars contributions so here goes with rereading. We can leave Anderson's worlds but stay with Anderson.

1 comment:

Sean M. Brooks said...

Kaor, Paul!

I think I have most of the Man/Kzin Wars volumes, most of whose contents I read with pleasure. I really think they are worth reading, esp. as see the members of the warrior race of the Kzinti getting fleshed out, becoming interesting persons in their own right.

Ad astra! Sean