Monday 25 January 2021

Other Agents

This blog regards Poul Anderson's Dominic Flandry and Ian Fleming's James Bond as two major fictional secret agents. However, for anyone who is interested, there are many others. The concluding two pages of my copy of The Man With The Golden Gun (see image) advertise:

Peter Ward by David St. John;
Joaquin Hawkes by Bill S. Ballinger;
Johnny Fedora by Desmond Cory;
Charles Russell by William Haggard;
Mark Hood by James Dark;
David Denning by Don Von Elsner;
Jason Love by James Leasor -
 
- and the following titles whose protagonists are not named here:
 
On Hazardous Duty by David St. John;
The Antagonists by William Haggard;
Cobra Venom by John B. West;
Call For The Dead by John Le Carre;
The High Wire by William Haggard.
 
We know that Call For The Dead introduces George Smiley and we, or at least I, saw David Niven playing Jason Love. Also, since a Johnny Fedora novel is shown to have the alternative title, Hammerhead, that is something that I have encountered.
 
Anyone else?

1 comment:

Sean M. Brooks said...

Kaor, Paul

I have read Ian Fleming's James Bond stories, but not the other spy writers you listed. I so have one of Le Carre's books, which I know I should read.

One spy series I am rather fond of is the late William F. Buckley's stories about the CIA agent Blackford Oakes, with me having at least nine of those novels. I hope you might sometime look up the first two novels: SAVING THE QUEEN and STAINED GLASS.

Ad astra! Sean