Friday 22 January 2021

Alternative Reading Orders

Poul Anderson's The Earth Book Of Stormgate concludes with:
 
"A Little Knowledge"
"Day of Burning"
"Lodestar"
"Wingless"
"Rescue on Avalon"
 
- and is followed, in the original reading order of the Technic History, by Ensign Flandry.
 
We know that:
 
Mirkheim comes between "Lodestar" and "Wingless";
 
"The Star Plunderer" and "Sargasso of Lost Starships" come between "Rescue on Avalon" and Ensign Flandry;
 
The People Of The Wind, originally read before the Earth Book, is set between "Sargasso of Lost Starships" and Ensign Flandry;
 
in The Technic Civilization Saga, "Day of Burning" comes before "A Little Knowledge" with "The Master Key" and Satan's World between them.

Although I say that we know this, I have to check the contents pages very carefully to make sure that I have got the reading orders right.

5 comments:

Sean M. Brooks said...

Kaor, Paul!

I am inclined, however, to think "Sargasso of Lost Starships" should be set before THE PEOPLE OF THE WIND. Because I don't think the Empire had quite yet reached that 400 light years diameter we see it mentioned as having attained in PEOPLE.

Ad astra! Sean


paulshackley2017@gmail.com said...

Sean,

But I said above that "THE PEOPLE OF THE WIND...is set between "Sargasso of Lost starshiprs" and ENSIGN FLANDRY."

Paul.

Sean M. Brooks said...

Kaor, Paul!

Oops, I missed that! I should not have.

Ad astra! Sean

paulshackley2017@gmail.com said...

It is complicated.

Sean M. Brooks said...

Kaor, Paul!

Only if I don't pay attention!

Ad astra! Sean