Thursday 30 July 2020

"The Children's Hour": Some Details


"The Children's Hour."

"'Beautiful job on the false idents, by the way. If we hadn't been tipped we'd never have found them.'"
-Chapter V, p. 271.

Who tipped the Munchen Police about the two infiltrators from Sol? (If the answer is that it is clear in the text, then I will just have to reread earlier passages.)

The Police Chief has a Matisse, two Vorenagles (?) "...and a priceless Pierneef..." (Chapter III, p. 226)

When Jonah and Ingrid meet a Yakuza contact, the word, "tekkamaki," is used as a password. The Yakuza guy considers it a joke to refer to Markham as "'...our esteemed GVB...,'" which he explains as "'Gotz von Blerichgen...'" (p. 219)

It takes a while for the Man-Kzin Wars series to open out to a wider variety of authors:

The Man-Kzin Wars
Niven
Anderson
Ing

Man-Kzin Wars II
Ing
Pournelle & Stirling

Man-Kzin Wars III
Niven
Pournelle & Stirling
Anderson

I have yet to receive my copy of IV.

The Wikipedia article presents a longer list of authors for later volumes. I expect at last to read more of this series. Morecambe Library has reopened, with reduced hours, for the Lancaster District so I might be able to borrow some of those Worlds books. I continue to think that Poul Anderson's Technic History excels as a future history series. Larry Niven's Known Space History, like Jerry Pournelle's CoDominium History, differs from Anderson's in having more installments written or co-written by other authors. I have been drawn back into Known Space by Anderson's contributions and am currently appreciating its MKW period.

3 comments:

Sean M. Brooks said...

Kaor, Paul!

I suspect the "Vorenagles" appreciated by the Police Chief of Munchen is meant to represent a fictional artist native to Wunderland.

I'm glad you are mostly enjoying the Man/Kzin Wars stories. Apparently you found many of them to be more substantial than you had expected.

Ad astra! Sean

paulshackley2017@gmail.com said...

Sean,

Indeed but so far I am only rereading the trilogies by Anderson and Pournelle & Stirling. Next is Ing.

Paul.

Sean M. Brooks said...

Kaor, Paul!

Good, I'm glad. I think Ing wrote "Cathouse," and if my memory is correct, that was an esp. interesting Man/Kzin Wars story.

Ad astra! Sean