Sunday 21 June 2020

This World

Finding themselves in another world, some characters remember and appreciate this world.

Manse Everard recalls his friends, including characters from previous stories, and:

"...the austere cantos of Dante and the ringing thunder of Shakespeare; the glory which was York Minster and the Golden Gate Bridge..."
-Poul Anderson, "Delenda Est" IN Anderson, Time Patrol (Riverdale, NY, 2010), pp. 173-228 AT 2, p. 184.

In Three Hearts And Three Lions, CHAPTER THREE, Holger Carlsen recalls (I will rewrite them as a list):

the graceful spires of Copenhagen;
moors, beaches and wide horizons in Jutland;
ancient towns in green dales on the islands;
the skyward arrogance of New York;
the mist on San Francisco Bay made gold by the sunset.

While he is riding into Faerie, Holger remembers what reads like an even more fabulous realm.

1 comment:

Sean M. Brooks said...

Kaor, Paul!

And I agree on the desirability of appreciating and remembering the great and beautiful things to be found on our Earth. And I wonder how I would do in another world?

I'm enough of an Anderson completist that I would very much like to get a copy of the dust jacket for THREE HEARTS you chose for an illustration here. Because I have a copy of that book from when it was first published, except without the dust jacket. Or even just a copy of that jacket!

Ad astra! Sean